HP to acquire SGI

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Wed Aug 17 23:01:43 CDT 2016

On August 17, 2016 10:49:46 PM CDT, Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 02:04:10AM -0400, alexmcwhirter at triadic.us
>wrote:
>> On 2016-08-16 01:32, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>> >But seriously, I didn't know that any pieces of SGI were still
>around
>> >to acquire.
>>
>> NUMALink, that's pretty much it in a nutshell
>
>I thought that tech was with CRAY (CRAYlink) these days. Or is it was
>is
>used on Altix systems?

The SGI shared memory systems, the most current of which is called "UV", is a NUMALink interconnected design.  They have a number of ASICs that implement the interconnect and protocol and bridge to the Intel processors intra-processor link, which is called QPI.

The SGI cluster products use Infiniband for interconnect.

Chris

--
Chris Elmquist