5150/5151 Video Card??

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 00:22:07 CDT 2016

> > > Double take, resulting in coffee in nasal cavity ... ;-)

> > I am not joking.
> > -----------------
>
> Well, linears are noted more for their weight and caloric output than efficiency
> while switchers seem to have sacrificed reliability for higher efficiency so I
> took it as a delightful bit of irony, like a car combining the safety of a Pinto
> with the graceful lines of an Edsel...

> Oh well, I got a chuckle out of it...

Of course I was being ironic. The 'not joking' part refers to the fact that
it really is a switcher with a linear regulator.

The reverse (mains transformer feeding low-voltage switching regulators)
was relatively common (think of the older PDP11 PSUs, for example). These
are big and heavy (massive iron-core transformer) and not as efficient as
a mains switch-mode PSU, but are more efficient than a linear regulator
(obviously) and seem quite reliable.

-tony