Imaging and Emulating Rainbow

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 14 12:35:29 CDT 2016

> > Oh dear. VMS would not let me MOUNT/FOREIGN, it said:
> >
> > 	%MOUNT-F-FORMAT, invalid media format
> >
> > So I couldn't mount it to do the BACKUP/PHYSICAL.
> >
> > What options do I have to image this disk?
> >

> It appears that the format used by the Rainbow disk controller is not
> compatible with the format used by the controller in the MVII :-(
>
> It looks likely you will have to run something on the Rainbow itself to do
this
> unless it is possible to extract the disk controller from the Rainbow and
put it
> into something else that can cope with it.

I should have thought of that. I think my options are either on-box, or
David Gesswein's MFM reader/emulator. My inclination is the latter because I
actually bought the original board but then never actually built it because
at the time I was enjoying the challenge of attempting to create my own such
reader/emulator using an FPGA. My project faltered and I never found the
energy to build David's, but I think I will now.

Regards

Rob