Imaging and Emulating Rainbow

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sun Aug 14 07:33:53 CDT 2016

> > For imaging my first thought is to put the disk into a MicroVAX II, net boot the
> > MicroVAX into VMS and do a BACKUP/PHYSICAL, copying the image to a
> > SIMH tap file.  There shouldn't be any issues with this I assume?
> >

> Oh dear. VMS would not let me MOUNT/FOREIGN, it said:
>
> 	%MOUNT-F-FORMAT, invalid media format
>
> So I couldn't mount it to do the BACKUP/PHYSICAL.
>
> What options do I have to image this disk?

It appears that the format used by the Rainbow disk controller is not
compatible with the format used by the controller in the MVII :-(

It looks likely you will have to run something on the Rainbow itself to do
this unless it is possible to extract the disk controller from the Rainbow
and put it into something else that can cope with it.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.