Imaging and Emulating Rainbow

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sun Aug 14 06:58:09 CDT 2016

> I have a Rainbow 100+ with a working hard disk. I want to image the disk
> before it fails and then emulate the Rainbow. The disk is an RD51 and
> appears to have 4 partitions on it.
>
> For imaging my first thought is to put the disk into a MicroVAX II, net boot
> the MicroVAX into VMS and do a BACKUP/PHYSICAL, copying the image to a SIMH
> tap file.  There shouldn't be any issues with this I assume?

I believe there are tools for dealing with BACKUP/IMAGE savesets on other
platforms but I'm not sure whether they cope with savesets from BACKUP/PHYSICAL.
You might have to restore the saveset using VMS running on SIMH onto an RD51
emulated by SIMH, assuming such a thing exists.  From there, it should be
easier to change it into an image suitable for another emulator if necessary.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.