VAX file format conversion

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Thu Aug 11 15:47:27 CDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM, emanuel stiebler <emu at e-bbes.com> wrote:

> On 2016-08-11 14:08, Douglas Taylor wrote:
>
>> I have a MicroVax 4000 that I am trying to update the license PAKs on,
>> the last time I had valid PAKs on this machine was in 2002 (Hobbyist
>> Licenses).
>>
>> I registered and have received the new Hobbyist License PAKs.
>>
>> I connected a laptop and transferred the text file using C-Kermit on the
>> VAX and hyperterminal on the laptop.
>>
>> When I go to execute the file, I get an error:
>>
>> $@hobbyist-use-only-va.txt
>>
>> %RMS-W-RTB 512 bye record to large for user buffer
>>
>> It appears that when the file was transferred it showed up on the vax
>> with fixed length records of 512 bytes, not variable length.
>>
>> Can I convert the file on the VAX?
>>
>> Is there a setting for C-Kermit that I need to change?
>>
>> Is Hyperterminal screwing things up?
>>

> I usually just send it a textfile, so open the editor, put it in input
> mode, download the file, save it. Don't forget, to make a dealy after every
> <CR> ...

I've always just set the terminal emulator to a slow per-character rate and
pushed it into the console.  As long as VMS can process each line before
the next one starts, you should be golden.  -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."