the value of old test and repair equipment

Joseph Zatarski jzatar2 at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 9 14:56:55 CDT 2016

>I really like my old test gear and yes, it just seems right to be restoring
>vintage computers with vintage instruments.  HP scopes, logic analyzers,
>DVMs; function generator; Tek scope, frequency counter; as well as just
>'sundry'.  But I did break down and buy a DDS frequency generator to work
>on my VHF/UHF ham gear.

>>* In fact, the value of old test gear varies tremendously..
*>>>>* Vacuum tube testers of certain makes & models are near the top
of the food
*>>* chain, with clean, working examples pulling $1500+ (USD) on a very regular
*>>* basis.
*>>>>* There's also a strong following for much 'classic' audio
analysis gear (HD
*>>* meters, ID meters, spectrum analyzers, etc.) some very fine multi-meters
*>>* and anything really hi-end like General Radio, Breull & Kejjr, HP, and so
*>>* forth.
*>>>>* Some very early examples from the 1910s to 30's also pull good
value simply
*>>* for visual appeal. Much of this gear is resplendent with embossed, enameled
*>>* panels, sculpted Bakelite knobs, large meter movements and an overall Art
*>>* Deco styling.
*>>>>* Seen a nice Supreme Diagnometer recently? Or any of the 40s-70s
era English
*>>* made tube testers, like the AVO? Hickok also made a series of bench VTVMs
*>>* with massive chromed meters, designed to be large enough that they can be
*>>* read from many feet away.. those are beautiful for display, and guess what
*>>* - they work great, too!
*>>>>* On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Dale H. Cook <radiotest at