the value of old test and repair equipment

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:16:34 CDT 2016

Though I have some background in Telcom, I'd never heard of the HP 3370(B)
so had to check it out.  Here are a couple of take-away quotes from a
thread at: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=866814

"The A suffix boxes were designed to test phone lines for modems for CCIT
standards (UK & Europe), the B suffix (B-for-Bell) were the for the
American market. Designed and built in South Queensferry.

You use a pair of 3770s one at each end of a leased phone line connection.
One transmits to the other and vice-versa and they measure frequency
response and group delay. The purpose was to assess lines for modem use.
The firms who leased lines used these boxes to check they were getting the
quality they were paying for. The telcos used these boxes to make sure the
lines they were leasing out weren't below contract performance and going to
cost them penalties. Nice business for the instrument makers."

"They were around 12 kilobucks each back in the day. I think the 3770 did
level, flatness and distortion, I think the 3771 did group delay come to
think of it. My pilot tone filter probably did go in the 3770."

As I was assuming, they are used in pairs at opposite ends of the line.
Neat device.