the value of old test and repair equipment

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 23:55:27 CDT 2016

"I've been restoring a HeathKit capacitor checker."

Which one, the IT-28? Those are really handy for finding leakage in
high-voltage caps, as they have a crazy-high (like 600V ?) power supply.
Unlike modern SS units, the IT-28 can test at practical working voltages.

There's data out there on how to finely calibrate those units, but I don't
see much point in it.. It's a lot of fiddly work and for what - to have the
best 40-year-old LCR meter? If you want a better than ballpark measure of L
or C, get one of the cheap uC-based swiss knife testers. A set of 1% metal
film resistors are cheap, though, and will improve stability.

If you ever feel the need to do semi-precision work with a device like the
IT-28, you're best off running it as a comparator and keeping a set of
precision value caps for reference. In that case, you only need to make
sure you have well matched resistor pairs in the bridge circuit.