SWTPC 6800

Brad H vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net
Fri Aug 5 00:58:20 CDT 2016

I think this 6800 is live but I am being dogged by my inabilities when it
comes to cabling.  I'm going to purchase a 'proper' db25 female connector
and the molex pins for the MP-S connector and solder it up.  I tried sort of
using jumper wires to make it go.  When I turn the 6800 on, the PC terminal
I'm using reacts by producing single or strings of random characters.
According to the SWTPC 'system checkout' stuff, if I get anything at all
showing up on the terminal it usually means the 6800 is alive.  Based on the
notes written on the MP-S, I'm confident I have the correct baud rate and
bit (8) and parity (1) settings, but alas, doesn't seem to work.  When I ran
into this sort of thing with MSI 6800 it turned out the baud rate switch on
the serial card wasn't correct, despite factory labelling.  That might be
the case here but not really sure how to sort it.