MicroVax II

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 21:49:54 CDT 2016

On 7/29/2016 10:55 PM, Glen Slick wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I just got a MicroVax II in the BA123 world box chassis.  I has a TK50,
>> RX50, RXDQ2, but no DEQNA.  I'd like to get it running an OS.
>>
>> The DU disks don't work, but I have a couple of Qbus SCSI controllers that
>> might come in handy.
>>
>> What OS's can I use with this hardware?  NetBSD?  Are versions of VMS
>> available?  How do you get an OS onto this system?
> What Qbus SCSI controllers do you have? The CMD CQD-200 CQD-220, Dilog
> SQ706A, Emulex UC07 I have tried were all able to boot from an
> appropriate SCSI CD-ROM drive. That how I usually go about installing
> OpenVMS 7.3 on a Qbus VAX. I never got around to picking up a SCSI-SD
> adapter yet. I just use old fashioned rotating drives, although they
> are 68-pin drives with 50-pin adapters.
>
> I have a BA123 that I maxed out as a something close to a VAXstation
> III/GPX. Replaced the M7606 KA630 with a M7625 KA655. There are only 4
> Q22/CD slots so normally you can only have 48MB using 3 M7622 MS650
> 16MB boards plus the CPU. I found a couple of third-party 32MB boards
> to max out at 64MB. Added a (2x) M7168 + M7169 VCB02 set for the GPX
> graphics.
>
> The BA123 is an interesting item for DEC collectors and I'm glad I was
> able to pick one up, although it's been a while now since I last
> powered it up.

I had 3 different types of SCSI CDROM's and none of them worked, they
are DEC RRD42, Toshiba and a Sony.
The DEC was dead, removed the drive and applied power that I know is
good (from a PC power supply in a working PC)
and nothing, no led, nothing.  The toshibas would spit the caddy back
out after a few moments and the Sony
refused to eject the caddy.
Is there a SCSI CDROM to look for?
I'm curious about the 68 pin scsi drives, what type do you use?  The
adapter, I guess it is 50 pin male to 68 pin male?
Doug