strangest systems I've sent email from

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Apr 29 21:23:40 CDT 2016

On 04/29/2016 01:51 PM, ben wrote:
> Did Unix have
> any other languages with it?

I evaluated UNIX FORTRAN for my research group in 1976 or
so.  It was not pretty.  We found it took about 750 ms to
format a single floating point number and print it out.
This was probably before we got out 11/45, so it wasn't on a
high performance PDP-11 CPU, but it was WAY worse than any
other language.  We also found the computed goto worked
backwards.  The order of the less than and greater than
branches was reversed.  This made it pretty clear that
practically NOBODY was using it.  Not a good sign.  I
suspect Pascal must have existed as people were doing TeX
documents, but we didn't have it then.

This was on Bell Systems UNIX.  After discovering these
issues, we went with RSX-11M, and were happy as clams.  That
was also a great way to develop a bunch of code before the
VAX came out.

Jon