Programming language failings [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Apr 29 16:35:16 CDT 2016

>> I like C for the most part, what you see is what you get.
> Apparently you've never been burned by the way it handles bit fields.

Not that I wrote the double-quoted line above, but...no, I don't think
I have.  Certainly not recently enough to remember it.  But then, I
don't assume more about bit-fields than the language promises.

A lot of people seem to assume that "the way it works for me on my dev
box" is what the language promises.  This is a recipe for nasty
surprises in almost any system/language/etc.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org