strangest systems I've sent email from

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 12:59:59 CDT 2016

> On Apr 29, 2016, at 1:49 PM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

> I would have no problem with them if they were documented.  But I've
> yet to find one that is.  I worked on a project writing code for a new
> Android phone, once, and even as developers we had to use binary blob
> drivers for important pieces.  (It also taught me how horrible the
> Android build system is.)
>
> Mind you, if/when I find one that _is_ documented....

The other problem is that only the data/apps part is open (to some extent).  The voice part is a closed system, written on a closed RTOS.  It undoubtedly has security issues -- which is quite a concern given that that's where all the voice processing for phone calls lives.  I don't know if it's involved with VoIP calls sufficiently to be a worry, but it certainly is involved in regular cell calls.

There have been some attempts to create an open "baseband stack", but I suspect the authorities will work hard to prevent that from becoming real.

	paul