strangest systems I've sent email from

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:03:10 CDT 2016

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Raymond Wiker wrote:
> The regular expression support in Perl is implemented in C, and are
> supposedly fairly fast.

They are faster than some, like Ruby and slower than others like
(apparently) LISP.

> That didn't stop a Lisp programmer from implementing PCREs in Lisp (that
> supposedly slow and inefficient language),

Cool. Which LISP ? CL ?

> and getting better performance than Perl :-)

Hehe, well, right on then.

My opinion is that benchmarking and subsequent proclamations using
scripting languages is like racing snails vs slime molds (my money is on
the snails, BTW). It's all fun until someone shows you a graph of the same
algorithm in C and puts a quarter-horse in the race. Then your saying to
yourself things like "Should I be 10x or 15x slower?" :-P

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programs-are-fastest.html

-Swift