Calling all typographers

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 06:33:42 CDT 2016

On 29 April 2016 at 02:11, Paul Birkel <pbirkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://miktex.org/pkg/az
>
> Wow, is that some list.  In my era it was a *lot* shorter, by orders of magnitude.  The list does include these:
>
> miktex-metafont-base            METAFONT base
> miktex-metafont-bin-2.9         METAFFONT binaries
> miktex-metafont-misc            METAFONT misc
>
> (and: logic     A font for electronic logic design)
>
> (and what's not to like about: comicsans        Use Microsoft Comic Sans font)

Instead of using that package list, I prefer to just browse CTAN
directly: <https://www.ctan.org/> Since that's ultimately where MikTeX
downloads packags from. Also, CTAN includes the package documentation
(if it has any), which is handy when using some of them. ("Halp, how
can use pgfplots?" "Have you tried reading the manual?" "THERE'S A
MANUAL!?")

About the comicsans package: It's <current year>, use xeTeX/xeLaTeX or
LuaTeX/LuaLaTeX and fontspec to use Comic Sans directly from the TTF
file.

An aside on Comic Sans: Even though it's a pretty bad typeface, it is
apparently really readable by those with dyslexia. There's still
better typefaces for that kind of application.

Regards,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove