smalltalk and lisp (was: strangest systems I've sent email from)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:21:09 CDT 2016

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
> Did it really?  It is used in the Mac, much as Bliss was in VMS, but
> apart from that, would anyone use it?

It's had at least a mediocre run. I mean, they used it for NeXTStep apps
too. It's been around for quite a while with a pretty solid core of
adherents. A C++ god that I used to work with called it "C++ without the
suck". I don't particularly think C++ sucks, though (or I guess I got used
to it). I never could read Obj-C, due to lack of practice in the lang, and
too much at-colon-dash-at going on. However, again it was probably just
lack of familiarity, on paper at least, it has some nice features.

-Swift

PS: If you folks who care about C are interested and haven't done any
coding a while, check out the features in C11. I'm loving things like
quick_exit() and the static assertions. I also am hoping for a cogent
Annex K bound checking interface once it hits gcc, though I have my own
cheesy cheap-az solutions for that kind of stuff (a little thing I call a
reflective reference counter).