History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Wed Apr 27 12:00:46 CDT 2016

It was thus said that the Great Mouse once stated:

> And I spend over $80/month for DSL to a provider that gives me a /29
> and a /60 from globally routed space.  (That everything is now CIDR
> blocks is another loss; I am not fond of the desupporting of
> noncontiguous subnet masks, even though I can understand it - I'm the
> only person I've ever heard of running that way other than for
> testing.)

  One benefit of contiguous subnet masks is that it makes routing faster.
It's still a linear search, but it's based on the average length of the
netmask instead of the total number of entries.  Granted, I'm looking at
this from the perspective of a router and not a computer (which might have a
few routing entries vs. hundreds or thousands).  I've implemented such an
algorithm to deal with spam (quick address lookup).

  -spc