History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:23:34 CDT 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Mouse wrote:
> [...] That everything is now CIDR blocks is another loss; I am not fond
> of the desupporting of noncontiguous subnet masks, even though I can
> understand it [...]

Heh, I'm guessing you've been doing something like that for a very long
time. I remember "Der Mouse" the Sun god from very early days of the net,
and I suspect you are one in the same.

As far as CIDR goes, I agree. I'm glad CIDR exists but sad that it needs
to be this way "normally".

What I've often wondered is why there are so many IT people with the same
sort of laments and we haven't all collectively built our own networks
over wireless ? I remember when a friend of mine who was a HAM showed me
his 1200 BPS packet radio setup.  I was blown away and I could envision an
army of radio geeks interfacing together to form a civilian Internet (and
this was before the Internet caught on). I had the same thought when
Lucent Wavelan cards and subsequent wireless devices caught on. I figured
we could network an entire city together using a mix of directional
antennae for the long runs, and omnis for the distribution layers. Then
inter-city traffic could be done with either long range elevated yagis or
land lines paid for by the "collectives" in each city. Perhaps Karl Marx
might have shared my vision, but the "real world" didn't.

I wonder why... FCC rules too strict? The tech isn't as robust as I
thought? Hidden operating costs I'm not thinking of? I'm naive, I guess. I
thought we'd all be running our own little "cells" right now, not fighting
for scraps of bandwidth from *horrified gasp* the dirty monopolistic cable
companies and lyin' cheatin' phone companies. Meanwhile folks in places
like Korea are laughing and using Fiber or Ethernet and paying pennies on
the dollar compared to options we've got in the USA.

-Swift