Avionics and amazing gear made by Tatjana (was Re: Data General Nova Star Trek Rockwell Collins vs. Vaisala SPT11A)

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 07:40:15 CDT 2016

> European tubes are easy to evaluate in that respect because the letter codes
>  designate what's inside.  I remember the EABC80 (not sure that's the correct

EABC80 _is_ the correct number. It is a triple diode triode. The number decodes
as follows :

E : 6.3V heater
A : diode
B : double diode (so a total of 3 diodes)
C: triode
8 : B9A (noval) base

There is also the (more common) UABC80 (with a 100mA heater for series
string use) and PABC80 (least common, with a 300mA heater for series
string operation).

> number), which is a diode plus double-diode plus triode.  Intended application,
> if I remember right, was FM detector (discriminator, double diode), AGC detector
> (single diode) and audio preamp (triode).

More often it was used in AM/FM radios. 2 diodes for the FM detector and one for
the AM detector and AGC. And the audio amplifier triode.

-tony