Digital (Was RE: Mac "Workgroup Server" (or "network server") hardware & AIX)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 02:47:56 CDT 2016

> Don’t fret, once OpenVMS v9.0 is released, on x86-64, there won’t be any doubt
> as to who won.  :-)

Sadly, no one won. I doubt any one (well perhaps not anyone) would consider OpenVMS for a new deployment.

Upgrading existing environments, yes, but a new green field site. It would have to have very good reasons.
(I know you will all come out with some, but perhaps one for every 10,000 Linux and/or Windows Server deployments.)

Digital is now a fond memory for most. Both VAX and Alpha are no longer manufactured.

I actually wonder if an FPGA VAX chip could be made that would run faster than existing real VAXEN. That could perhaps form the basis of a nice VaxStation...
... on browsing I found this...

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v7/vax_6000_emulator.pdf

Dave