Accelerator boards - no future? Bad business?

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:43:33 CDT 2016

I perhaps take a slightly more permissive view. I am happy to use modern
parts if they allow me to keep an old machine operational AND can be
installed and removed in a non-destructive manner.
For example my PC server 500 has an unreliable floppy. I intend to add a
GoTek board so I can update the ADF files safely.

>     >> running the disks ... risks damaging what are effectively museum
>     >> pieces.

But if you don't run them then you might as well just display empty boxes...

>     > There I'd just say run them until they break and can't be fixed, and
>     > then they can become static museum exhibits.
>

> The problem with that is that I feel that it conflicts with what I feel
one of our
> main goals ought to be, which is to preserve these machines in running
form,
> for history and the education of future generations.
>
> Yes, even powering them on risks a failure, but most failures are
repairable.
> A crashed head, if you don't have spares, is pretty much un-fixable
(there's a
> whole manufacturing complex needed to create them, which is now gone,
> and one can't substitute an alternative part). So I'd run them as little
as
> possible - and a modern solid-state alternative really helps with that.

There used to be places that re-built drives after a head crash. Not sure if
they still exist.

> (BTW, there's a big debate in the museum world over this sort of topic:
some
> places won't do any cleaning and fixing of antique objects, retaining them
> exactly as they were, and living with the degradation of plastics, etc;
others
> do restoration, but mark what was done, and make it reversible if
possible;
> others go all out and restore things to 'like new'. I'm kind of in camp
II,
> myself.)
>
> There's also a practical down-side to the 'run it as a matter of course
till it fails
> forever' approach; if one has packs for that drive which one wishes to
read or
> write, that's no longer possible once the drive is roached (although
someone
> else could do it for you, but that's not necessarily a desirable option).
>
> And of course, with the drive dead, the machine may not be runnable unless
> one adds a modern alternative - and if one's willing to do that _after_
the
> drive is fried, why not before?
>

>     > From: Swift Griggs
>
>     > I might be laughed at for wanting a Fiero-Ferrari
>
> For a good time, Google 'Jerrari'! :-)
>
> 	Noel

Dave