Data General Nova Star Trek

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Mon Apr 25 10:41:44 CDT 2016

Hi Jim,

regarding reading the StarTrek paper tapes I spent some time on
the weekend to rework my SPT11A manual reader - I got this from
an eBay auction and it was an accessory for some military receiver
(probalby to read in some codes). It had a fimrwaere which refused
to communicate with a simple terminal program, so I reverse en-
gineered the hardware and replaced the original ROM it by an
own firmware which simply sends the contents read from PPT to
the PC via its RS232C...

    http://www.baigar.de/vintage/SPT11A-mod-Internal.jpg

So I'd offer sending this to you as an item on loan to read in your
tapes and you return it afterwards? I tested it with some data and
it works well (just slowly pull the paper tape through the reader
and use e.g. putty to log the binary serial output). After turning
on the reader there is a short welcome message to verify the serial
connection (9600,8N1).

The only question is, whether you can handle the EU style power
supply shown in the picture...

    http://www.baigar.de/vintage/SPT11A-mod.jpg

I ordered USB->RS232C converters and if you have some more time,
I'd attach one of them to the reader not only doing conversion
but also supplying the converter with power from the PC.
Addidionally you should send me your physical address via PM
so I can prepare for shipping...

    Best regards from Germany,

       Erik.