bit slice chips (was Re: Harris H800 Computer)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Apr 23 00:20:56 CDT 2016

On 04/22/2016 09:36 PM, ben wrote:
> On 4/22/2016 10:17 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> What about Radio Shack? $2 for 7400 or 50 cents a gate. Now the
> latest INTEL product has how many gates again?

By the mid 80s, some of us were trying to think of creative uses for the
Z80, which was then going for less than 75 cents in OEM quantities.  By
then it was finding its way into PC peripherals.

Time moves on.  I'm holding one of those Intel souvenir 80386/80486 key
fobs with the corresponding dice embedded in resin.  It really is
startling to see how much larger the 486 die is--and the 486 after
introduction didn't cost proportionately more than the 80386.

--Chuck