Accelerator boards - no future? Bad business?

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Fri Apr 22 18:37:48 CDT 2016

On 22/04/2016 21:38, Jan Adelsbach wrote:

> Older SGI's have a VME bus and the GIO/GIO64 bus used for I think the
> Indigo's

and Indys and the small Challenges

> is also documented.

yes, it could be obtained through the Developer Program (I have a copy),
though I seem to recall some strings attached.

> There used to be an emulator from Stanford which could run IRIX 5.4
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimOS

Perhaps you mean IRIX 5.3, the last 5.x,  which ran on Indy, Indigo,
Challenge, etc, or 6.4 which was an early special for the Octane and
O2000/Onyx2.  There's no IRIX 5.4, at least, not released.  It went from
5.3 to the very short-lived 6.0.1, then 6.2 (Indy, Indigo2, etc) 6.3
(first release for O2) and 6.4 (ditto for Octane, Onyx/O2K) and quickly
to 6.5 across the product line.

--
Pete