shell accounts [was RE: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:40:54 CDT 2016

What *is it* with the thin skins around here?

I read someone just expressing his perspective, his "personal preference based on his style" as you put it; I didn't read any cavalier condescension, judgments, "dismissing or marginalizing" other folks' perspectives, or anything that justifies calling him a "jerk" as in J.W.'s post.

Do these things invariably have to elicit defensive ad hominem and straw man arguments? Aside from those, I find your post below as valid and interesting as the OP's and although I see some things differently I don't feel insulted or condescended to in the least.

If I say that I personally don't see any point today in laboriously using Pine and my 8x40 display M100 (or Chuck's Kobo ;-) to read my email (even though I did actually use an M100 back in the 80's), does that really automatically imply that I think that anyone who does get a kick out of that sort of thing is an imbecile and that I'm smarter or better somehow than they are?