Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Apr 19 22:00:16 CDT 2016

On 04/19/2016 08:29 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> ATF.. ATF?!?!? Heresy, heresy!!
>
> Not.
>
> I suppose it depends what we're talking about, Type F or the various grades
> of Dexron. But that's what I have in my pump oiler can. Per my
> understanding, it's essentially a highly-refined 20W oil with a series of
> additives that allow it to serve double-duty as the hydraulic working fluid
> in torque converters and automatic transmission clutches.

Not so sure about that, but maybe it is all in the
additives.  it seems like typical ATF is a LOT thinner than
20W oil.  Also, it is pretty well known that if you put a
complete fill of ATF into an engine crankcase, the rings
will last about 10 miles before the compression goes to zero.

If you put engine oil in the transmission, then the clutches
will slip.

Jon