Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:29:40 CDT 2016

ATF.. ATF?!?!? Heresy, heresy!!

Not.

I suppose it depends what we're talking about, Type F or the various grades
of Dexron. But that's what I have in my pump oiler can. Per my
understanding, it's essentially a highly-refined 20W oil with a series of
additives that allow it to serve double-duty as the hydraulic working fluid
in torque converters and automatic transmission clutches.

There are also additives that are permitted in ATF which would be excluded
from crankcase oils, as the latter have a much greater tendency to enter
the environment.