Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

Eric Korpela korpela at ssl.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 19 12:06:36 CDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> What's the going price per gallon of sperm whale oil?

Quite a bit more than Braycote, I'm sure.  And it would be nowhere near as
good.  But if I were restoring a $25,000 machine, spending $250 on 10 grams
of Braycote wouldn't seem outrageous.  Sure it's more expensive the going
to the Texico station for a can of motor oil, but it's also not going to
eat through the decaying rubber belts within a few years.

> I'm very careful with PTFE-enhanced lubricants, such as TriFlow--they
> tend, for me, at least, to get gummy.

Braycote isn't a PTFE-enhanced petroleum based lubricant.  Those have all
the disadvantages of the base lubricant (which can evaporate or change
chemically), but with added PTFE.

>   A good petroleum oil should last
> decades in this particular application.

Probably.  You just shouldn't get it (or its evaporation or decomposition
products) on anything that that might react badly to them or get too warm.