Vintage Computer Festivals???

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:23:08 CDT 2016

> But I don't think our hobby will ever be very mainstream, and indeed
> I'm not sure it even makes sense, since so much of what makes us
> distinctive is that we play with non-mainstream or no-longer-mainstream
> stuff.  So it seems to me that trying to attract the mainstream is
> going to either fail or end up producing something very different.
> (Not that something different is necessarily bad, of course, but it is,
> well, _different_, not what we here have.)  Most/all of us got here
> without being wowed in the mainstream sense by a classic computer show,
> after all.

To run a successful museum you have to cater at least somewhat to the
general public.  There will always be some degree of interest in old tech
by the general public. Most museums of old tech, cars, and such include
social references and props to help depict the context of the thing, what
was happening when...

What's nice about the vcf event is that they're a couple clicks more techie
than your general science event or even a makerfaire.  There is nothing
like the vcf event.  Evan worked tirelessly to make the latest successful.

Bill

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net