Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Apr 17 20:43:27 CDT 2016

    > From: drlegendre

    > If they use sleeve bearings, take a close look at the material.. does
    > it have the sintered look of oil-impregnated bronze (Oilite)?

It looks like copper, actually; it's quite reddish. (The central pin seems to
be steel of some sort.) But I'm not familiar with Oilite, so I can't say for
sure.

    > Are there channels in the bearing to allow the distribution or
    > retention of grease?

There's a section of reduced diameter in the center of the pin; the ends are
full diameter, with no grooves of any kind. The sleeve is a plain cylinder.

    > Those fans tend to run at pretty low RPM

Not these. They are doing very high RPM indeed.

	Noel