Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:22:31 CDT 2016

If they use sleeve bearings, take a close look at the material.. does it
have the sintered look of oil-impregnated bronze (Oilite)? Are there
channels in the bearing to allow the distribution or retention of grease?

Those fans tend to run at pretty low RPM, so a very light bodied grease,
like the Phil's Grease for bicycles, would be fine to use. Otherwise, you
can just punt and use 20-30W motor oil. And yes, if you have a high-end
synthetic like Royal Purple 10-40 that is great. The RP oil is the go-to
for the guys on the antique fan site I visited when repairing my 1930s
Emerson Junior table fan.

The RP is really pricey, like $10/qt but a single quart will last several
guys a lifetime of small lubing tasks.