Any info on MTI 240 drive emulator?

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 22:39:29 CDT 2016

Hi all --

I just picked up an interesting device, it appears to be a drive
emulator that adapts DEC SDI to either ESDI or MFM drives (I would guess
ESDI, but no real way to be sure.)  It's manufactured by "Micro
Technology" and is labeled as an "MDI 240" on the front.  (On the rear
as "SPEC.MDI-240", P/N "970176-000".)

Mine has no drives in it, just a power supply and two logic boards
labeled "MSD13B" that connect to the drives.  I can't find much
information about this unit at all, and just a bit about Micro
Technology (apparently they were sued by DEC for building this device :)).

I'd like to be able to use this thing (possibly with my VAX 11/750).
Anyone have any information hiding somewhere about it?

Thanks,
Josh