Voltage regulator with alternate voltage source...

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Fri Apr 8 02:11:55 CDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 4:41 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
> Does this warning assume that there is something on Vin, and not open?
> With a quick look at the internal schematic of an old-school 7805, it
> seems like what Bill suggests (leaving Vin open) will not actually do
> much.
>
> --
> Will
This warning is for someone who is thinking of adding a large filter
capacitor (>10ufd) on the output of the 78XX device and the manufacturer
is warning against this. Typically the reason is when the input power
drops below 2VDC above the ouput (power removed) then the device can
conduct backwards to ground - if you provide enough current it will
probably self destruct.

To me it is simple, the manufacturer says don't do it as you will damage
the device. That is enough for me. If you want to check the internal die
design you can see why this is so.

John :-#(#