Voltage regulator with alternate voltage source...

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 20:08:29 CDT 2016

"...if you leave the unregulated rail _unattached_ and put +5
switcher straight onto the regulated +5 rail..."

My error, I read that as "attached".

In any event, just lift both the 7805 IN and OUT pins, and then supply
known-solid +5DC between the OUT and GND pads on the board.

No, you can't feed the IN pin with +5V, for as others have mentioned,
the 7805 has a minimum dropout of 2V or so.