Mac SE/30 pincushioning and flicker

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 23:39:39 CDT 2016

It's been years since I've had to do any board-level work on the compact
Macs. But in virtually every one I opened up, there was an issue with that
dang multi-pin power connector, as it leaves the analog board. In almost
all cases, there were cracked solder joints on the board-side of the
connector. Had this in Plus, SE, SE/30 and one Classic IIRC.

Carefully resoldering / reflowing them fixed the issues. It's one of those
things - if you haven't done it yet, do it just for drill - get it out of
the way. If you want to get fresh, solder-suck as much of the old as you
can, and resolder it with SN63/37 material.

That's all I've got. ;-)