AT&T Uverse IPv6 vs. Mac OS X 10.6

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Fri Apr 1 13:17:00 CDT 2016

> On Mar 27, 2016, at 11:36 PM, Tapley, Mark <mtapley at swri.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 26, 2016, at 5:19 PM, Jerry Kemp <other at oryx.us> wrote:
>>
>> Just curious if something specifically is broken or non-fixable with the 10.6.8 IPv6 stack?
>>
>> I'm specifically wondering if you did any troubleshooting to resolve this?  Or if just disabling IPv6 was the quick'n'dirty answer?
>
> I’m pretty helpless with networking, so I can’t comment on either AT&T's or Apple’s implementations. As you say, disabling IPv6 was the Quick’n’dirty answer. If network-aware folks have tests to suggest, I can use the G3 on 10.4.8 as a guinea pig.
>
> We figured this out Friday night; my wife plans to contact AT&T (and the Apple Genius Bar) Monday. I’ll report if they have any suggestions.
>
> I will say that my MacBook Pro (definitely off-topic) never hiccupped, and it is running OS X 10.9.5, so somewhere between 10.6.8 and 10.9.5, Apple’s implementation seems to have changed to be compatible with AT&T’s (new) implementation.

For my Ubuntu 7 machine, the DNS resolution was not working on IPv6.  This is a 2007 release that I don't want to upgrade.

Check and see if a 'dig -aaaa www.site-u-want.com' resolves to a valid address.  That was one of  my first clue that something was wrong.

I did not do much investigation for the Mac.  Quick cure (not a fix) for my needs at the time.

Jerry