A new Lisp-based OS that hearkens back to the old days of comprehensible computers

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Wed Sep 30 19:34:50 CDT 2015

Well, it's all the same Linux kernel; for each branch of each distribution,
they pick a kernel train they want to run with and then backport patches as
required for security or device driver support from more modern kernels ...
Nothing to stop you from running X kernel (or Z window manager) on Y
distribution, generally. The primary differentiator is really the packaging
scheme; whether it uses the Debian style (*.deb) or the Red Hat (*.rpm)
style or perhaps something more basic (*.tar.gz) like Slackware.

While there are a few "forks" of BSD, there never was a proliferation of
various "distributions"; that is to say, there is only one, definitive
FreeBSD, one, definitive NetBSD and one, definitive OpenBSD. All are
significantly stripped of crud out of the box compared to Linux.

Ironically, I had to migrate a few of my home servers _to_ Linux _from_
FreeBSD (with some reticence) because FreeBSD dropped support for my Fore
PCA-200E cards and I didn't want to stop running OC-3 MM ATM at home :O

I do still run some FreeBSD systems at home but just as ESXi VMs.

Best,

Sean