A new Lisp-based OS that hearkens back to the old days of comprehensible computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Sep 30 17:42:05 CDT 2015

On 09/30/2015 02:50 PM, Sean Caron wrote:
> Just the whole idea of so many Linux distributions makes me bang my
> head against the coffee table. One thing I greatly admire about the
> *BSD projects has been the strong arm of unification, all
> contributors are working towards one goal... It just so happened that
> Linux was the "free UNIX that took off" (just like i386 was the
> "architecture that won") and we have to live with the repercussions
> of that in IT ops every day for better or for worse ... But that's
> just my two cents and no more ... I know this topic can get
> religious! :O

I find that most of the difference between Linuces lies in the GUI, not
in the "guts" of the system.  Many, if not, most use a Debian-based
kernel with other stuff bolted on--and even that's not cast in Sakrete.
  I'm sitting at a system now running Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop (I
can't stand Unity).  At the command-line level, there's little that's
substantially different among Linuces.

Anent BSD, you'll find considerable differences in approaches to OpenBSD
compared with FreeBSD.  OpenBSD is conservative to the point of being
almost paranoid, an approach I greatly admire.  OpenBSD management seems
to despise virtualization in any form, so no Wine for you, much less
VirtualBox.  Ftp is not officially supported, etc.  Compared to OpenBSD,
FreeBSD is a painted whore.

It's been a long time since I've updated my systems with NetBSD, so it's
hard to say much there.

Linux is getting to be (or has gotten to be) the host of the latest
shiny toy.  They no longer support older chipsets, such as the VIA 8237A
nothbridge (it was just ripped out without commentary, so you have no
hard disk access).  The BSDs--and even Windows seem to have kept it.

--Chuck