SQLite reliability - Re: cctalk Digest, Vol 15, Issue 24

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Fri Sep 25 01:04:32 CDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 02:37:29PM -0700, mark at markesystems.com wrote:
> >>I don't know what you're looking at for the front end of this project,
> >>but have you considered SQLite for the database engine back end?  If
> >
> >No, I would not consider it.  I have experience with it on my Garmin GPS
> >unit.  I really dislike it.
>
> Wow - I'm quite surprised at that.  It is in *everything*: Android,
> iOS, FireFox, Chrome, - the list goes far on.  Personally, I've
> never used it on an embedded platform, although I'm certainly
> keeping it in my back pocket for the time when I need an embedded
> database.  What problems have you experienced?

Full disclosure: I work for a company that competes with SQLite.

SQLite is fine if you know it's limitations. There is for instance
little to no constraints checking, no proper types and nonstandard SQL.

/P