Self modifying code, lambda calculus - Re: ENIAC programming

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Sep 21 20:23:53 CDT 2015

> Wirth & Co. started the project in FORTRAN, but gave up, particularly
> when it was realized that implementing data structures and recursion
> in FORTRAN was going to be a bit of a task.

I think that if I wanted to build a Pascal compiler in FORTRAN I would
build a p-code engine in FORTRAN and implement the compiler in that.

But I don't know if they had the concepts to do that.  Not that I think
that inventing a p-code engine was beyond them, but it certainly would
have raised the bar.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org