Multi-platform distribution format (Was: Backups [was

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 21 12:51:17 CDT 2015

On 21/09/2015 17:43, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>> I am not sure that I understand your suggestion.  While I agree
>> that the RX02 was able to switch a single-density floppy to a
>> double-density floppy (and visa versa), the difficulty, as you
>> pointed out, was performing the initial LLF (Low Level
>> Formatting) in the first place on Un-Formatted 8" floppies.
>> That may have been easy with IBM hardware, but DEC
>> made that impossible if all the user had was a DEC system.
>
> Agreed. The DEC RX01 and RX02 drives could not do a low level format.
> But your comment above suggested you needed to find some special drive
> and controller combo which supported RX02 floppies, which would just
> be irrelevant. If you could format the floppy anywhere, to just IBM
> SSSD format, then you were good.
>
> The RX02 special stuff is something you then did on an RX02.

>> If it was possible to perform a LLF using the same RX50 drive on
>> the Rainbow, what was the reason why an LLF could not also be
>> performed on a PDP-11?  There seems to be a number of possibilities:
>>
>> (a)  There was some hardware that the Rainbow had which was missing
>>        on the PDP-11 systems
>
> No.
>
>> (b)  The firmware in the controller on the Rainbow supported an LLF,
>>        but the firmware in the controller on the RQDX1, RQDX2 or RQDX3
>>        on the PDP-11 did not support an LLF
>
> Quite possible.
>
>> (c)  The Rainbow used a program which DEC supplied that could
>>        perform an LLF, but DEC did not supply such a program for
>>        the PDP-11 systems
>
> Also quite possible. And would be what Jay Jager claims. I don't know
> myself. I know that RSX refuses to even try formatting an RX50. If it
> in fact could, I don't know. But the floppy drive itself obviously
> could. (One reason why some places bought Rainbows in fact...)

>>>      I cant do that so we will have to make do with my dodgy memory.
>>> When floppy disks first appeared end users just wanted to take the
>>> disk out of the box and use it.
>>> They could not see why they should waste time preparing every new one.
>>> They did not need matching to a particular drive as DEC's
>>> manufacturing tolerances made sure any disk would work on any drive.
>>>
>>> In fact it was more difficult and expensive to provide pre-formatted
>>> disks.
>>> It was more about customer service and making sure the equipment kept
>>> running.
>>>
>>> I heard the following story
>>>
>>> One customer went out and got a huge pile of unformatted (and
>>> untested) floppys and a third party format program.
>>> He expected DEC to make it work.
>>>
>>> The account manager asked to see his DEC maintainance contract and had
>>> to be restrained  from  tearing it up.
>>> Through the window of the office was building site and the inevitable
>>> 50 gallon oil drum burning rubbish.
>>> He was offered a choice; he could put the disks or the contract in the
>>> burning drum.
>>>
>>> Rod Smallwood
>>>

>>> DEC supplied pre formatted disks

> [...]
How true it was I don't  know It came from the Product Line (marketing).
The person who I got it from passed away a few years back.

You need to know how DEC worked to understand how things like sell only
preformatted  came about.

Sales policy was  a product line decision.

The Product Lines would decide what they needed for their particular
market and put a business plan together.
  This included what sort of products and services they required.
If the board agreed the plan then the product line would have funds
available to
go to the various provider groups (R&D, Manufacturing, Sales, Field
Service etc.) to get what they needed .

If you consider DEC corporate like a venture capitalist and the
marketing groups as companies needing to fund a product.
Then thats not far off.

Dec was strong on engineering but  the marketing groups defined what got
sold and how.

As a DEC Salesman you usually worked for one product line.
When asked who was your biggest competitor the answer was usually DEC!
What was ment was another product line offering the same product at a
different price.

Rod

--
Wanted : KDJ11-E M8981 KK8-E M8300 KK8-E M8310 KK8-E M8320 KK8-E M8330