Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Sep 20 14:47:59 CDT 2015

>> I would guess it would be incredibly hard to make a "disk" virus
>> that would work on greatly differing OS's like Linux AND Windows.

This is actually a good reason to encrypt your whole disk.  The disk
can't serve up working malware if the bits it returns get mangled by
decryption with an unknown(-to-the-disk) key before being used.

Of course, this will generally mean booting off something other than
the disk in question; that thing then becomes a possible target for
attack.  But this can be made more or less arbitrarily hard for the
attacker - consider network booting from a bootserver that isn't even
running the same ISA as the client....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org