Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Sep 15 15:30:22 CDT 2015

On 9/15/15 1:02 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> In the case of spinning rust, what brand is most reliable?  I've seen dreadful reports of DOA drives from Western Digital, fewer from Seagate, but I don't know about Hitachi, Samsung, etc.

CHM has been having good luck with 3 and 4tb (mostly) Hitachi and Toshiba (several hundred spinning).

Seagate sucks. >50% drive failures (100 drives) in a year,
and when they fail, they wedge the SAS expander they are on.
Our IT people have been pulling them out as soon as the read
errors start to appear in SMART.

I have a handful of 5 and 6tb Toshibas which have been working well.