internet blocking problem ?

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 02:30:36 CDT 2015

Can I beg to differ, having had a quick play with Azure I quite like "cloud" solutions.
However they usually don't deliver what managers expect as usually it is only the hardware that’s in the cloud.
You don't get the Systems Admin done for you. You will often have to back it up. Worse still its expensive.
Where I last worked we basically ran "servers as a service" using a VMWare farm.
We tried to fully cost our servers but the price we came up with was still about 10% of commercial cloud providers.

I use a "hosted" web site for the local Radio Club on a shared server in the cloud. Its about $100 dollars a year.
I honestly can't beat it. We have MySql and run a main web server using "Drupal" for the "Normal" club stuff, plus a second with "Moodle" for the UK Ham Radio exams we run training for.
It also hosts my Vintage computing pages...

I would probably need three boxes at home to do the same thing. Give me a cloud any day....
... which reminds me I havn't backed it up for a while.....

Dave