punchcard svg file available

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Thu Sep 10 18:09:19 CDT 2015

On 9/10/2015 5:29 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 09/10/2015 02:32 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> Which reminds me--I went over to the local DMV to renew my "papers".
> Since the terrorism craze, the state has changed the rules for verifying
> identity to now include a birth certificate (heaven knows why).  What
> shocked me was the process.  Each clerk took the about-to-expire ID and
> a paper form filled out by the applicant and painstakingly re-entered
> all the information on a simple dumb keyboard terminal, then swiveled
> the terminal to the customer to verify the information and manuall
> correct it if necessary.   Positioning to the appropriate field was done
> via cursor keystrokes--not a mouse or glidepad or touchscreen anywhere
> to be seen.

The states really don't have a whole lot of choice.  It's called legal
presence.  Has more to do with immigration than 9/11/2001.  The law that
resulted from the latter is called RealID, but there are still legal
challenges, and implementation for ordinary folks (e.g., for boarding
airplanes) has been been put off until at least 2016.

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Wisconsin has a new system as well, including the ability to scan
paperwork, capable of complying with the stringent RealID law, if it
ever actually becomes effective.  But WI can at least start by reading
the 2-D barcode on the back of the expiring/expired license.  ;)

JRJ