internet blocking problem ?

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 22:14:23 CDT 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 22:07, Alexis Kotlowy
<thrashbarg at kaput.homeunix.org> wrote:
> iiNet have been outspoken about users' rights and privacy in the face of
> the War on Piracy. While they don't condone piracy, they have serious
> concerns about the way it's being dealt with (or at least that's my
> understanding).
>
> I get the impression some ISP's are blocking access to iiNet. I don't
> see how this could do anything other than hurt the end users, but that
> seems to be the tactic the content owners have taken in the past so I
> wouldn't be surprised.

It'll only get worse if the TPP goes through…

> Can you do a traceroute to members.iinet.net.au? In case DNS is blocked,
> the IP address is 203.0.178.90. I've been on iiNet since they bought out
> my previous ISP.

Doing a traceroute from my home, which is serviced by TekSavvy (in
Canada); my connection to members.iinet.net.au dies at a router owned
by Hurricane Electric, Inc. of California. Since it seems to bounce
through a few of their routers, I'm assuming that whoever Hurricane
Electric hands off the packets to kills it. (Based on my traceroute;
other results may vary.)

>From a friend of mine on RoadRunner (I won't say where, but in the USA
of course); their trace dies as it leaves the Cogent Communications
network (since it bounces through a few of their servers before
dying).

Regards,
Christian
--