MEM11 Status Update

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 00:10:40 CDT 2015

> >> I could, but the point is to run 1972 Unix on machine that was around
> >> in 1972, even if I have emulate things like the RF disks.
> > Except that the MEM11 wasn't around in 1972.
> I think the point here, is that much of the hardware that is necessary
> to run Unix V1 on an
> 11/20 is unobtainium.  Therefor, if one wants to run Unix V1 on 11/20
> hardware, there is

I don't think you are running Unix V1 on 11/20 hardware here. An 11/20 CPU,
sure, but a computer system is not just the CPU.

> going to be, by necessity, some compromises made.  Witness the previous

Remaking the missing hardware following the original designs and using technology
close to the original is one thing. A functional emulator is something quite different.
The 11/20 in 1972 did not (AFAIK) use any programmable logic chips, for example.

> discussion on
> the IBM 1620 where the core memory has been replaced with a modern
> equivalent  in order
> to allow it to work.  I view this in a similar vein.

So do I.

-tony