Common Maxtor MFM drive failure mode -- any ideas?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Oct 25 15:48:16 CDT 2015

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 14:22, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/24/15 11:40 AM, tony duell wrote:
>
>> Most likely those ICs are head switch/preamp devices and the servo head
>> preamplifier. They are very likely to be custom.
>>

> Silicon Systems was a common supplier in the 80s to mid-90s, which is why their
> Storage Products data books have been scanned.

Just thought I'd mention that my first "real" job was at Silicon Systems. Started as an applications engineer for motor drivers, then moved into chip design for interface controllers. I don't think I have any old databooks any more. Glad to hear that they're being preserved.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/