tool for installing pin in PCB extractors?

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Sun Oct 25 00:54:09 CDT 2015

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 10/24/2015 09:49 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>
>> What tool does one use to install the metal pin into a plastic PCB
>> extractor, e.g., the Bivar CP-36 or Keystone 8642?
>
> There are expensive tools for the purpose, but I've always just used a pair
> of long-nose pliers to compress the end of the spring pin slightly to get it
> started, then drive it home with a soft-faced mallet.  Make sure that the
> body of the extractor is supported.
>
> To remove, an appropriately-sized roll pin punch works just fine without
> mangling things.

I have a small pair of specialty pliers which were made to install roll
pins in relays which work equally well for this. Another tool I've used in
the past is a really small c-clamp.

I don't know if anyone else has tried them yet, but I recently discovered
that Richco/Essentra also makes card ejectors/extractors.
http://us.essentracomponents.com/shop/en-US/essentracomponentsus/pcb---electronics-hardware-44556--1/card-guides---pullers-75066--1/card-ejectors--extractors---pullers-132571--1